For the last few months, I’ve been working on my new business: MT Events & Consulting. It’s an online business to help planning your event through consulting or managing the whole thing. However, in the long run I’d like to focus it in helping clients understanding their purpose and creating their own event with a personalised service. You can have a look at the website here: http://www.eventsmt.co.uk or checking my Instagram account @mtevents_consulting.
As we all know, being an entrepreneur is not easy. Much less being a mompreneur. There are just not enough hours a day for everything. Just to give you a glimpse, I am now sitting on the floor, with the laptop on the sofa and my months old playing around me while I’m writing this post.
If there’s something I learned during this journey (and keep working on it) is the importance of a heathy lifestyle. With all the stress and work that we face daily – and particularly being a mom and starting a business – we need to learn more about self-care, self-confidence and self-love. I am not an expert, and certainly not a role model, but I found these few next things extremely important for me:
- Eat healthy. I know you know. I know we are reminded constantly. But having a healthy and varied diet is the best thing for our body and to get the energy we need
- Drink a lot of water. Yes, you also know this. But guess what? I bet you don’t do it as much as you should. I don’t some days. But water calls water, and honestly, you can feel how toxins leave your body when you start drinking a good amount of water daily
- Do some exercise. Walk. Run. Ride. Fitness. Yoga… you have soooooo many options!! I go for a walk almost every day with my little one – when I can’t, my husband goes. And also I try to exercise (bicycle, fitness or yoga) at least 4 times a week. Moving your body makes you liberate tension and feelings that you shouldn’t be holding
- Sleep well – that might sound like a joke for moms like me. But the truth is that, whoever that can, should be sleeping at least 8 hours. Moms, dads, we have a hard time with that, but we need to try, go earlier to bed, and try to sleep as much as our little ones allow us
- Disconnect from social media. We need to try and not be dragged into the loop of social media. Being in social media gives us instant pleasure, and our brain wants and demands it, but unfortunately we also need a detox from that because it makes us leave aside any other things that we could be doing and that would actually help us more in all aspects than being in social media. I’m not saying forgetting about it completely, but some time a day it’s enough to give us a break. For example, what I do is to disconnect my phone everyday between 9-9.30pm. I realised that by doing so, I am able to relax more and sleep better. I can still watch Netflix if I want to, or work with my laptop, but I can be more present without having the phone in my hand constantly
- Read. This is one of the things that I’m able to do more since I disconnect my phone at night. I used to be a great reader, but after having the baby I just didn’t find the time, and one thing led to another… until I started taking action and begun again.
- Take care of yourself emotionally and mentally. This is essential. Write in a journal. Be generous with yourself and others. Practice gratitude and mindfulness. Take a bath. Do the things that make you feel better with yourself
It might seem that we cannot have time for everything. It might seem overwhelming. But the truth is that when you start taking care of yourself, everything else fall into place. Taking all of this into account, has helped me dealing with the daily stress and pressure with more energy, as well as helping me finding myself in a better position mentally, physically and emotionally.
I tried and it worked. I’m sure it will work for you, as well!
Xo – Mar