I definitely love hot drinks, especially in winter, so I thought about starting a series of posts about hot drinks. To start, I’d like to share my top 5 non-alcoholic hot drinks:
- Coffee: Honestly, all year long. I really need coffee in my life, especially in the morning: latte or cappuccino are my favourites, but an espresso after lunch it is always welcome if I’m not at home…
- Tea: …But, if I’m at home, I love a green tea/ herbal tea after lunch while I’m sitting in front of my computer and my toddler sleeps her nap – lucky her. In the evening, I would normally go for a chamomile, but other options are also welcome. Keep reading
- Hot chocolate: This would be one of those other options. However, I could drink hot chocolate at any moment of the day, really. I remember my friend Jen and me, getting up super early to but £10 tickets for the theatre (many theatres do that in the UK if you’re there first thing in the morning and after a long queue), and getting a hot chocolate with cream as soon as the cafes would open. That was glorious. Or having a hot chocolate at 5-6pm. I love it
- Another option is Chai Latte, always. Classic and easy to prepare. Obviously, you have the fancy options, but I just use the chai powder with some milk… and it is delicious. Perhaps not for every day, but definitely a yes for couple of times a week
- Matcha Green Tea: I’m going to write another post on these series of posts about its benefits, but I just wanted to include it in my top non-alcoholic hot drinks. This is an option that I would have at home, probably after lunch. In this case, I use matcha tea powder. I heat the kettle and dissolve half a tsp or a tsp (depending on how strong you like it) with some hot water. Then, in a separate vessel, I would warm up some milk and then add it to the tea. Stirring it very well
You’ll find many other options, really, with flavoured hot chocolates, and putting some spices to your chai latte or teas. I think it is great to have options for everyone, but I prefer it as simple as possible 😊
However, a hot white chocolate, even if it’s super sweet, it’s a must for the festive season! You can also add whipped cream to your drinks to make them even more cosy, and drink them watching an old movie… what a fabulous plan!
And now, what about alcoholic hot drinks?
I have to say, I’m not a huge fan. However, I know that these are a huge thing, especially during winter and the festive season! So, here are the top 3 I would recommend!
- Mulled Wine: A classic in winter and during the Christmas period. Prepare it with red wine, a cinnamon stick, star anise, lemon zest and caster sugar. It’s easy and a classic, what else you can ask for?
- Hot Toddy: Excellent to warm up with some whisky, honey, lemon, cinnamon cloves. It definitely gives you a punch! Did you know that they also used to recommend it when you had a cold?
- Eggnog: Egg yolks and brandy are essential ingredients for this drink. Use some sugar, vanilla essence and condensed milk to do the rest, and enjoy it during this season!
Do you have any other favourites? Let me know what you think!
PS: Follow me on my IG account @mardeideaskitchen and let’s start sharing what are our favourite non-alcohol hot drinks!